By Gavin Flood
- Comprehensively covers the textual traditions of Hinduism
- Features 4 coherent sections masking theoretical matters, textual traditions, technology and philosophy, and Hindu society and politics
- Reflects the rage clear of essentialist understandings of Hinduism in the direction of culture and regional-specific studies
- Includes fabric on Hindu folks religions and stresses the significance of quarter in studying Hinduism
- Ideal to be used on collage courses.
Read Online or Download The Blackwell Companion to Hinduism (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Religion) PDF
Best hinduism books
There's a regular and growing to be scholarly, to boot as popular curiosity in Hindu faith – in particular devotional (bhakti) traditions as sorts of religious perform and expressions of divine embodiment. linked to this can be the eye to sacred photographs and their worship. Attending Krishna's picture extends the dialogue on Indian photos and their worship, bringing historic and comparative dimensions and contemplating Krishna worship within the context of modernity, either in India and the West.
Combining behind-the-scenes insurance of a regularly besieged spiritual crew with a private account of 1 woman's fight to discover which means in it, Betrayal of the Spirit takes readers to the guts of existence within the Hare Krishna movement. Nori J. Muster joined the foreign Society of Krishna realization (ISKCON)--the Hare Krishnas--in 1978, almost immediately after the loss of life of the movement's religious grasp, and labored for ten years as a public relatives secretary and editor of the organization's newspaper, the ISKCON international assessment.
Raised as a Catholic and proficient within the West, then proficient as a monk in India because the Eighties, Canadian writer Swami Muktananda of Rishikesh is uniquely located to convey the jap culture of Vedanta to Western non secular seekers. In Awakening to the countless, he solutions the everlasting query posed by means of philosophical seekers, "Who am I?
Approximately sixteen centuries in the past, an unknown Indian writer or authors accumulated jointly the varied threads of already historical traditions and wove them right into a verbal tapestry that this present day continues to be the crucial textual content for worshippers of the Hindu Devi, the Divine mom. This non secular vintage, the Devimahatmya, addresses the perennial questions of the character of the universe, humankind, and divinity.
- Holy Cow: The Hare Krishna Contribution to Vegetarianism and Animal Rights
- Sudden Awakening: Stop Your Mind, Open Your Heart, and Discover Your True Nature
- Health And Consciousness Through Ayurvedic Cooking: (Fixed Layout Edition)
- Pearls on the Path
- Myth = Mithya: Decoding Hindu Mythology
Additional resources for The Blackwell Companion to Hinduism (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Religion)